With few exceptions, Democrat local and state officials have refused to enforce the law in their jurisdictions to stop riots. Now we have seen direct attacks on our nation’s capitol. As Eagle Forum Insights Editor Pat Daugherty writes:
One would think the hourly images of personal loss and property destruction across the United States the past few weeks would have rallied conservative leaders to rise in opposition to the anarchy. One would be wrong, however, because there has been next to nothing but silence — or an occasional platitude. David Marcus calls for an acknowledgment of the societal threat and an end to the cowardice of our leaders. Let’s hope it’s not too late.” The Marcus article, Conservative Cowards Are to Blame for Falling Statues, concludes “…your silence is complicity with mobs that would destroy not just statues but the very foundations of our liberty…. There really are only two sides: one that seeks to burn everything down, and one that seeks to save the greatest nation the world has ever known. Pick one. Now.”
For more on the driving force behind that mob, here is Dr. Al Mohler’s podcast on the roots of the Marxist BLM, “Affirm the Sentence, not the Movement.”
We are all born sinful and in need of a Savior. We know humanity is just as flawed today as the historical figures being destroyed with impunity. It is their accomplishments in the brief time they lived that we celebrate and should learn from. It is important to memorialize these giants in history so future generations can see and understand the progress America has made. Now is the time for men and women of goodwill to work together to form “a more perfect union” for all our citizens!
“A society that believes in itself builds monuments, a sick society does not, and a dying society watches as they are torn down.” Because Eagle Forum believes in America, we will launch in July an updated edition of the Eagle Forum Bicentennial production on the Constitution of the United States of America.
Meanwhile, these riots are taking the lives and property of now scores upon scores of innocent civilians and are injuring and sometimes killing hundreds of innocent police officers.
Please contact every Alabama Congressional office now and the Governor and ask them to speak out for law and order and in support of the America whose Constitution they swore to uphold against all enemies, foreign and domestic. Here is a link to the Law and Order letter which Congress and the Governors received from a coalition which Eagle Forum joined, but they need to hear directly from us, their constituents.
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST HERE.
Forward this email to your friends!
Eagle Forum of Alabama’s public policy work for Alabama families is made possible by generous donations from our supporters. Help us as we stand strong fighting daily for liberty.
Eunie Smith, President of Eagle Forum of Alabama and Executive Director, Becky Gerritson were honored to have signed this letter with Ed Meese, many black conservatives, former Members of Congress and others to President Trump, the Congress, Governors and the Cabinet today. Too few seem to refocus on the value of rule of law for the turbulence, violence and chaos the radical left is fomenting in America right now. The letter was delivered to President Trump on 6.15.20. (Click link at the top.)
Phenomenal Documentary – Will Inspire The Whole Family!
Click the picture to access the free watch-on-demand link from APT.
5 Things You Need to Know About Pelosi’s Bill
House Speaker Pelosi has continuously postponed the House’s return to session, only to release an 1,800 page, $3 trillion, entirely partisan bill crafted in secret — then demand a vote on it the very same week. It passed along mostly partisan lines. It must be totally rejected by the Senate because of its size and substance. This added $3 trillion dollars, the most expensive bill ever to pass Congress, would put federal spending at 52% of the Gross Domestic Product, which is unsustainable for any nation. In substance, Speaker Pelosi’s new bill contains wildly irresponsible provisions having nothing to do with coronavirus response. Reading her wish list is instructive.
Speaker Pelosi is using her bill to try and push a wish list of dangerous policies and unrelated spending that has nothing to do with coronavirus response.
- It would prevent the government from informing the public about lower cost coverage options like association health plans or short-term limited duration plans.
- American families need to know about all their healthcare options now more than ever. Democrats think Washington knows best and want to limit families’ choices.
- FROM PROPUBLICA: “There is bipartisan consensus that mail-in ballots are the form of voting most vulnerable to fraud. A 2005 commission led by President Jimmy Carter and James A. Baker III — George W. Bush’s secretary of state — concluded that these ballots ‘remain the largest source of potential voter fraud.’”
- Making matters worse, their bill would even prohibit states from trying to combat voter fraud by requiring a form of ID to obtain an absentee ballot.
- House Democrats want to provide work authorization for illegal aliens they claim are in “critical infrastructure” jobs.
- Pelosi’s bill would enable illegal aliens to receive direct stimulus payments funded by American taxpayers, as the bill does not require social security number verification.
- House Democrats’ bill provides a bail out for failing union-run multiemployer pension plans.
- While they have politicized this crisis to attack the President every step of the way, House Democrats clearly have no intention of holding China accountable.
More info from Congressman Scalise’s office:
Democrats have continuously postponed the House’s return to session, only to release a 1,800 page, $3 trillion, entirely partisan bill crafted in secret — then demand a vote on it the very same week. Speaker Pelosi’s new bill contains wildly irresponsible provisions and is so partisan it cannot be signed into law and will not help a single American family. It would be the most expensive bill to ever pass the House of Representatives.
- $915 billion to bail out state, local, and tribal governments
- $25 billion bailout for the Postal Service
- $10 million for National Endowment for the Arts
- $10 million for National Endowment for the Humanities
- Provides “deferred action” and work authorization during the emergency declaration and for 90 days after for illegal aliens working in jobs that could be held by out-of-work Americans.
- Allows illegal immigrants to receive direct stimulus payments because the bill does not require social security number verification.
- Uses taxpayer dollars to bail out failing union-run multiemployer pension plans.
- Extends $600/week UI supplement through Jan. 31, 2021, plus a transition to allow the supplement to continue through March 31, 2021 for those who have not exhausted their benefits, meaning businesses will be competing with unemployment benefits for workers through spring of 2021.
- Provides a tax break for millionaires and billionaires by repealing SALT limitations for 2020 and 2021.
- Mandates a blanket release for certain covered federal prisoners and alleged criminals, while imposing a high burden for the government to prove they present a risk of harm to society upon release.
- Imposes a one-size-fits-all OSHA rule on all employers, which is counterproductive given the ever-changing circumstances created by COVID-19.
- Provides $10,000 of blanket student loan forgiveness for all public and private loans.
- Radically expands Phase 2 paid leave employer mandates by extending the mandates for an extra year, applying them to all employers, including small businesses, allowing more categories of leave to be compensated, and subjecting small businesses to lawsuits for alleged violations.
- Federalizes elections by including stringent mandates on how states must run elections, including early voting, no ID requirement for in-person voting, same-day registration, and no-excuse vote by mail in addition to providing absentee ballots to all registered voters without restrictions on ballot harvesting.
- Expands Obamacare through a new Special Enrollment period, which has already been rejected by the White House.
- Provides a 100 percent subsidy to cover an individual’s premium costs for COBRA continuation coverage or a furloughed worker’s employer-sponsored coverage premium costs without Hyde protections to ensure that no federal funds are used to provide abortion services.
- Virtually rewrites SNAP policy with no reference to COVID-19 and permanently disallows rulemaking pertaining to work requirements and eligibility.
- Increases the minimum SNAP benefit from $16 to $30, permanently
- Waives all work requirements from June 1 until the date two years after enactment
- Permanently rescinds the Able-Bodied Adults Without Dependents, Broad Based Categorical Eligibility, and Standard Utility Allowance rules
- Ensures the additional $600 in UI income is not counted toward SNAP eligibility determinations
Call your Governor on Tuesday, May 19th, as part of a nationwide call to action to express one of the following messages:
If your Governor has begun reopening the state, call to say thank you!
If your Governor is maintaining the lockdowns, call to say it’s time to reopen!
Frank Gaffney: “Americans have had an incalculably important win derailing of the Chinese Communist Party’s bid to get its hooks into the retirement savings of our men and women in uniform and their civilian federal government employee counterparts.
“It is hard to overstate the significance of President Trump’s decision to prevent that from happening – in the face of intense pressure to go along from the Chicoms and their lobby on Wall Street. For one thing, it not only denies the CCP the legitimacy that they would have garnered by being seen as a good bet by the Thrift Savings Plan (when many of their companies are anything but). Second, had the TSP investments in China gone forward, it would have made infinitely more challenging our efforts to discourage Wall Street from doing the same. A third and most under-appreciated – and ominous – effect would be the vested interest military and federal personnel would have in maintaining harmonious relations with Beijing if their personal financial security depended upon it.
“Taken altogether, I believe Donald Trump has, with this decision, delivered the toughest and most consequential throw-down against the CCP in my forty years in this national security business.”
Please make a point of thanking the President by
clicking here and leaving him a message.
LEGISLATURE IS BACK IN SESSION
The Alabama legislature was back in session all week for the first time since March. They have returned with the goal of passing the General Fund Budget and the Education Trust Fund Budget. Passing these budgets is the only thing they are mandated to pass every year. They are also considering local bills and a limited number of bills that deal directly with the state’s shut down or ramifications there of. With that being said, all of the bills we were promoting or watching, are basically dead for this session.
On Thursday the Alabama House of Representatives passed the 2021 state General Fund budget, which funds non-education state agencies. The 2021 SGF is $2,391,206,601, which increased by $168,860,692 from last year. It previously passed the Senate and is headed to the Governor’s office for her signature. The House approved the $7.2 billion Education Trust Fund, which is a $91 million increase from last year. The education budget and other education funding bills will be in Senate committees on Friday, May 8 and could get final passage Saturday.
WE HAD A SMALL VICTORY BECAUSE OF YOUR PHONE CALLS!
We had sent an alert earlier this week regarding a massive cut in the auditor’s budget. The proposed budget was slated to slash the Office of the State Auditor budget by 47%. We encouraged you to make phone calls to legislators asking them to “level fund” that office’s budget. Your phone calls worked! The final cut was only 9% vs the original 47%. Thank you for helping to keep this important constitutional office that operational.
A NEW BILL WE’RE WATCHING
BILL: SB334 SPONSOR: Sen Whatley
Under existing law, a state of emergency may be declared by the Governor by proclamation or by the Legislature by joint resolution. A state of emergency terminates after 60 days unless extended by proclamation of the Governor or joint resolution of the Legislature. This bill would provide that a state of emergency terminates after 14 days and may be extended only by joint resolution of the Legislature or, if the Legislature is not in session, by joint proclamation of the President Pro Tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives. This bill would also provide that an order or directive issued by the State Health Officer relating to the outbreak of a disease or pandemic has the full force and effect of law once it is approved by the Governor and a copy is filed with the Office of the Secretary of State.
EF’s POSITION We have not taken a formal position on this bill. We agree that the current emergency powers are too broad and extend for too long. Sen. Whatley stated in Alabama Daily News, “It brings the legislative body into the picture, and also makes the governor put his or her signature on the line with the state health officer, because the governor is a state elected person, the state health officer is not, so this way it holds the elected officials accountable to the people…”
GOV IVEY’S NEWEST SAFER AT HOME ORDER
CLICK THE PICTURE TO READ
THE LEGISLATURE WILL BE IN SESSION NEXT WEEK
The legislature will be in session next week. You can watch or listen live at the the links below.
The State Auditor is a constitutional office and he/she is elected by the people of Alabama. The function of the office is to completely audit the millions of tax dollars invested in the equipment and vehicles used by state employees in the course of their work. This office has played a vital role in exposing the state’s misuse of taxpayers funds and projects. It is crucial to keeping our state government agencies accountable and transparent to the taxpayers.
This almost 50% draconian cut in the Auditor’s already lean budget of only $950,000/year will basically render it inoperative. Three out of six existing staff will be laid off and 176 state agencies will not have their state property inventoried. Due to 28% budget cuts under the previous administration, the office has already laid off five of its staff. Despite this cut, the State Auditor’s office received a perfect audit by the State Examiners. Bringing the budget to a mere $500,000/year will prevent the office from performing in accordance with good practices. The reduced budget barely covers the cost of the software and equipment needed to perform audits let alone the modest salaries of the few employees it does have. The proposed General Fund Budget has an increase of about $167 million over last year. Surely there is a way to prioritize in order to adequately fund the essential service to taxpayers provided through the Auditor’s office. We request that you carefully examine this issue and vote to “level fund” the budget for the State Auditor’s Office in line with most other agencies of the state.
This time, when trust in government may be at an all-time low, is no time to strip a Constitutional office of its ability to provide accountability to Alabamians.
WHAT CAN YOU DO: Because the Senate is reconvening on Monday, May 4th to vote on the General Fund Budget, we need everyone to act quickly.
- Call and email your state senator ASAP and leave them a message asking them to vote to amend the General Fund Budget to “level fund” the State Auditor’s office. No decreases should be made to the Auditor’s already slim budget.
- After you contact your senator, call and email for your State Representative as well. Ask them to “level fund” the State Auditor’s office.
WHO: Stand Up Alabama-Operation Back to Work
WHAT: A Car Rally around the Alabama Capitol Building
WHEN: Tuesday, April 21st at 1:00PM
WHERE: Around the Alabama State Capitol Building
HOW: People can safely participate by remaining in their cars while driving around the capitol to show their support for re-opening. Driving route is posted at www.StandUpAlabama.com. There will be a microphone set up on the Capitol steps for supporters to express their support for Governor Ivey approving the task force recommendations. To protect the public health and to show respect for others social distancing is highly encouraged.
WHY: Small business owners and citizens of Alabama want to show their support for and give encouragement to Governor Ivey to re-open the economy and lift fines for going back to work. Alabamians must be allowed to protect both their lives and their livelihoods. Our rights under the U. S. Constitution demand it.
STAND UP ALABAMA – “Operation Back To Work”
The Alabama Small Business Commission Emergency Task Force and Subcommittee to Reopen the Economy last Friday released their recommendations to re-open Alabama. We heartily agree with the report’s statement that “Alabama’s economic vitality is critical to the health and prosperity of her citizens and will play a major role in the eventual defeat of COVID-19.” We believe that the recommendations for Phase 1 are well thought out, and reasonable. They allow for businesses to reopen safely with protocols in place to protect the health of their employees and customers. We believe they should be implemented immediately. Many Alabama small businesses and private contractors have not received the promised government financial aid and or have been denied unemployment checks and are now are hanging by a thread. We must not delay reopening Alabama any longer. Those business owners and customers who are fearful of contracting the virus can continue to stay in quarantine as long as they choose, but many businesses cannot survive another 2-week closure.
In light of our support for the Task Force’s recommendations we are publicly supporting the grassroots-led Stand Up Alabama, “Operation Back to Work” Car Rally on Tuesday, April 21st at 1:00. We invite everyone to join with us. The goal of the rally is to encourage Governor Ivey to act immediately to reopen Alabama to the greatest extent possible.
Lt. Governor Will Ainsworth and Rep. Danny Garrett of The Alabama Small Business Commission Emergency Task Force and Subcommittee to Reopen the Economy held a press conference today. They highlighted their recommendations to the Governor to re-open businesses in Alabama. We heartily agree with the report’s statement that “Alabama’s economic vitality is critical to the health and prosperity of her citizens and will play a major role in the eventual defeat of COVID-19.” We encourage Governor Ivey to immediately reopen Alabama to the greatest extent possible .
Of utmost importance in these times is the protection of Alabamian’s rights under the U. S. Constitution – rights emanating from God. We pray for our leaders as they continue to respect our civil liberties, which are not luxuries to be enjoyed just in the good times. They are essential to who we are as a state and as a nation. We extend our continued prayers to our Governor and all those in authority over us as they move swiftly and advisedly to reopen our economy and enable us to protect both lives and livelihoods.
See the link to the complete report from the Alabama Small Business Commission Emergency Task Force and Subcommittee to Reopen the Economy at the bottom of this post. The committee report proposes that the following businesses would be required to adhere to strict guidelines including social distancing practices and safety protocols.
1. Retail Businesses
3. Close Contact Services, (Barbershops, nail and hair salons, tanning salons, tattoo parlors)
4. Child Care Facilities
Open May 1st:
1. Medical/Health Services
2. Casinos, Racetracks, Planetariums
3. Exercise Facilities
4. Beaches (recreational activities: exercising, walking, fishing)
Open May 15th
1. Beaches (to sit in chairs or tents in groups of 10 or less but only with people you are already staying with)
2. Some athletic events