|Last week was a historic conservative victory. Conservatives took the U.S. House of Representatives, made significant gains in the U.S. Senate, and as a result, we will soon welcome one of the most pro-family, conservative Congresses in recent history. However, the current Congress has one more opportunity to do damage when they return for the lame duck session that will begin this week.
We are watching several issues that could come up in the lame duck session. We will issue more specific alerts about each once we know it will come to the floor.
In the meantime, please urge your Senators and Members of Congress not to pass any more jobs killing or spending legislation, but to use the lame duck session only to:
- Stop the automatic tax increases set to go into effect when the Bush tax cuts expire at the end of this year.
- Permanently repeal the death tax. If Congress does not take action, the federal death tax, currently at 0% will jump to 55%.
Other issues of concern include:
- The so-called “Paycheck Fairness Act,” which is a job-killing payback to feminists scheduled to come to the Senate floor next Wednesday, November 17th.
- Efforts to repeal the 1993 law prohibiting homosexuals from openly serving in the military, commonly referenced as “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.”
- The so-called “DREAM Act,” which would facilitate amnesty for illegal aliens and their extended families.
- New START Treaty — One of Eagle Forum’s greatest concerns is that liberals in the Senate will set a dangerous precedent by attempting to ratify the new START Treaty during the lame duck session. Eagle Forum was among 33 conservative groups who joined in a memo outlining the concerns with the new START treaty, and urged Congress to refrain from considering it during the lame duck session. Also, thirteen former U.S. Senators sent a letter to Senate Leaders Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell urging them not to consider the treaty during the lame duck session.
Please stay tuned for further information.